The Indian Shipping industry is the major contributor when it comes to providing experienced and skilled Seafarers at the global level. India has seen an extraordinary growth of 42 percent in the number of mariners following major policy changes brought in by the Government of India in the last few years as stated by Shri. Mansukh Mandaviya, Minister of State for Shipping, Road and Transport Highways, Chemical and Fertilizer.
India provides around 10 percent of the worldwide Seafarers and currently ranks at the 3rd position in largest seafarers supplying countries in the world. At present, there are around 17 lakhs sailors working on both Indian and Foreign ships out of which 154349 are from the Indian community. The main agenda of the Government of India is to increase the share of Indian Seafarers in the Maritime sector from 6 percent to 9 percent between 2010-2020.
The Government has also allowed opening pre-sea and post-sea institutes and academies in order to create more opportunities for the young Merchant Navy aspirants and to increase the number of Indian sailors in the Shipping Industry. The Directorate General (DG) of Shipping is planning to bring all services under one digital portal to ascertain transparency and competence in the maritime sector. Some of the services that are planned to be on the list are
- Set the time limit for placement by RPSL (Recruitment and Placement Services) which is a rule issued by the Government of India and put into effect under the Indian Maritime Shipping Act by the DG Shipping to ensure the safety of Indian seafarers on both Indian and International flag vessels.
- Online Examination and Assessment System.
- Certificates via DG Shipping website.
- To promote an online examination payment system through Bill Desk, BHIM app etc.
- To ensure insurance agencies and PNI clubs should be captured in the ship’s records.
The main objective of the Indian Government to take these steps is to create employment opportunities for the youth as there is a great demand for Indian Seafarers at the global level.
To know more about Merchant Navy industry careers visit www.varrenmaritimeacademy.com